Edwin McMillan

Early Days at the Lawrence Laboratory

Category: Lectures

Date: 30 June 1977

Duration: 55 min

Quality: HD MD SD

Subtitles: EN DE

Edwin McMillan (1977) - Early Days at the Lawrence Laboratory

There is a set of physicists who have been rewarded with the Nobel Prize in Chemistry and Edwin McMillan belongs to this set

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to start with a little explanation. The talk that I am about to give you was originally prepared as part of a celebration of the 45th anniversary of the Lawrence Berkeley laboratory that was held last year and it was intended to be a brief history in what one might call an anecdotal form. That is it touches somewhat on the light side of things. It deals a little bit with the scientific history of the laboratory but largely it deals with the people and the things that happened. So with that small explanation I will begin the talk as I gave it. This will be a multimedia presentation. I will start with a more or less connected discourse and finish with a slide show. When I speak of the early days I include only the period up to the end of 1940. By then, many people in the United States had become deeply concerned over the war in Europe. Some had left the laboratory for war work and soon the laboratory itself became involved in war work. One major peace time project was started in 1940, the 184-inch cyclotron. But it did not get back to its original purpose until after the war. The hill above the big C, I should explain that, in Berkeley there is a hill behind the town, there is a big letter C for California put there by the students and I’m referring to that. The hill above the big C was chosen for the site and by the end of 1940 the magnet foundation was completed and the bottom yoke was in place. This started the first expansion of the laboratory off the campus, the stage and growth belonging to a later period beyond what I’m covering here. The radiation laboratory was the personal creation of Ernest Lawrence. It was his idea, he got the financial support, he pulled together the equipment and drew the people and of course he supplied the key idea, the cyclotron. Many other people helped in essential ways. I could name President Sproul of the university, Leonard Fuller of the federal telegraph company in the university who arranged the gift of a large magnet for the 27 and 37-inch cyclotrons. Frederick Cottrell and Howard Poillon of the research corporation. And Francis Garvan of the chemical foundation who looked with favour on Ernest’s request for grants. Raymond Birge who became chairman of the physics department in 1932. Donald Cooksey from Yale, Stan Livingston and many others. But it was Lawrence’s laboratory. Those of us who were there in the early days remember that Ernest was always The Boss, with a capital T and a capital B, that was a very important distinction. He could be very rough on people if he felt they were not giving their utmost efforts, but he made up for this by his generosity in giving credit and ensuring ideas. I never met Rutherford, but I’ve been told that he had the same kind of character, with an important difference, Rutherford favoured the individual researcher working with simple apparatus. Lawrence believed in effort so large that team work was necessary. In the very beginning there was a penalty for this. The drive for greater energy in beam current was so frantic that people hardly had time to think. So important discoveries were missed and some mistakes were made. But this phase soon passed. On the whole I think Lawrence was right. The rapid development of the cyclotron was more important to nuclear science than the question of who made which discovery. The laboratory was started in 1931. And when I came to Berkeley near the end of 1932 it was in full swing. There was not only the 27-inch cyclotron giving protons of around 2 MeV, but also the Sloan x-ray tube on which great hopes were placed for cancer treatment. And a couple of linear accelerators of the Widerøe type which were built and operated by Dave Sloan, West Coates and Bernard Kinsey. The Sloan x-ray tube was used clinically for many years but the linear accelerator concept fell by the wayside, waiting to be revived by new ideas coming from war time radar developments. It was certainly a busy place day and night, especially when Ernest was there, which was most of the time. I started my research in Le Conte Hall, that is the physics building at the University of California Berkeley. I started my research in Le Conte Hall on a molecular beam problem but dropped that when the result I was seeking was obtained elsewhere and entered the exciting world of the radiation laboratory in the spring of 1934. Stan Livingston, the cyclotron expert, and Telesio Lucci, a retired commander in the Italian navy, who was a beloved general helper and factotum, gave me sage council on how to comport myself. As my previous experience had been in working alone and I needed to learn the art of team work. This was not obviously easy since no one was routinely coordinating the various tasks needed to keep the cyclotron going and there were the twin dangers of neglecting what one should do or getting in the way trying to do something that someone else should do. Robert Oppenheimer was the chief theoretical advisor for the laboratory and he suggested that I study the gamma rays produced by proton and deuteron bombardment of light elements. This turned out to be an important experiment because I found a 5½ MeV gamma ray from fluorine bombarded with protons with which I could check Bethe and Heitler's new theory of gamma absorption by pair production. The chief line of research going on then was the study of nuclear reactions by observing the protons and alpha particles which are emitted during bombardment. These were detected by thin ionisation chamber connected to a linear amplifier device not suited for observing gamma rays. Geiger counters were considered unreliable. Stan Livingston tells in a paper presented in Texas in 1967, what happened on February 24 in 1934 when the laboratory learned of the Joliot-Curie discovery of artificial radioactivity. They were using a Geiger point counter, a device that now seems as exotic as the cohere, to count alpha particles. It was not the familiar cylindrical Geiger Muller counter. The cyclotron oscillator and the counter circuit were turned on and off by the two poles of the double pole knife switch for convenience and timing. Within half an hour the switching arrangement was changed so that the counter could be turned on while the cyclotron was off. The counter voltage was raised so that it would count beta particles. The internal target wheel was rotated to bring a carbon target into the beam. And the activity of nitrogen 13 was there, produced by a different reaction than that used by its discoverers. The failure to see this activity first was a blow to the laboratory and there was a natural reaction against all Geiger counters. So the first thing I did when I entered the laboratory was to go to Pasadena to learn from Charlie Lauritsen himself how to make quartz fibre electroscopes. I had my first Lauritsen electroscope which was mounted in a lead ball chamber for detecting gamma rays inside the laboratory for only a few days when Malcolm Henderson came to me in the middle of May with the news of the discovery of neutron induced radioactivity in Rome and he wanted to use my electroscope to look at some of these activities. It took only a short while to make a new chamber out of a tin can with a thin aluminium window and the tin can version of the Lauritsen electroscope became a valuable instrument for observing beta rays. Jack Livingood made one like it which he used in a monumental survey with Seaborg and others of activities produced in many elements by deuteron bombardment which resulted in a rate of discovery of radio isotopes that was comparable to that of Rome following the Fermi’s first neutron induced activity. Some of those that they found became very important in medical and other applications, like iodine-131, iron-59, cobalt-60 and technetium 99m. There was a great surge of activity in the field of artificial radioactivity. The names involved are too many to list completely. Stan Livingston and I found a radioactive form of oxygen and Lawrence found sodium-24 which created a sensation because very strong samples could be made. Once Lawrence had the cyclotron crews working around the clock to make a whole curie for demonstration, that was a tough job. Jackson Laslett found sodium-22, which was the longest life artificial activity known at the time but was soon to be surpassed. Martin Kamen and Sam Ruben found carbon-14, probably the most important radioactive isotope of all and so on. Also new types of activities were discovered. Van Voorhis found that copper-64 could decay by emitting either negative or positive electrons, which was the first known example of that kind of radioactive decay. And Luis Alvarez found the first case of decay by orbital electron capture, which is now a well-known process. Among the new activities were some that had atomic numbers differing from that of any known element and were therefore new elements. First of these was found by Emilio Segré and Carlo Perrier in 1937. They worked in Palermo with a piece of molybdenum that had been on the leading edge of the deflector plate in the cyclotron where it got a lot of bombardment, and which Segré had taken back with him after a visit in the summer of 1936. In it they found element 43 which they named technetium after the Greek word for ‘artificial’, as it was the first artificially produced element. Next was element 85 called astatine for the Greek word for ‘unstable’, found by Segré, Dale Corson and Ken MacKenzie in 1940. A little later in that same year of 1940, Phil Abelson, who had been a graduate student with Lawrence, came back to Berkeley for a short visit and supplied the missing link in the chemical identification of an activity induced in uranium by neutron bombardment which had been puzzling me for some time, it was mentioned in the introduction. This was, as I’d expected, the first transuranium element. I named it neptunium after the planet Neptune, just as uranium had been named after the planet Uranus. After Phil Abelson left, I continued the work trying also the deuteron bombardment of uranium which produced different isotopes of neptunium than the neutron bombardment and found alpha particle activity in the neptunium samples, which suggested the presence of the next transuranium element. Because after the beta particle you get, the next step would naturally be an alpha particle and that leads one to think that that was the next one. I did some chemical separation, showing that the alpha activity did not belong to uranium or neptunium, but did not complete this investigation because I was persuaded by Ernest Lawrence to go to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for a few weeks to help set up a new laboratory for developing microwave radar. It was not called radar then, that word was coined later, but we did work on radar. As a cover, the new laboratory was called the radiation laboratory. So there were two rad labs, that was sometimes a source of confusion. I left Berkeley by train for Boston on November 11th 1940. On November 28 Glenn Seaborg wrote me that Art Wall had been making some strong neptunium samples and said: and it would please me very much if you could continue the work on 93 and 94”. Now, in parenthesis, the ‘some time’ stretched out to 5 years before I came back to stay. I never did believe Ernest’s estimate of a few weeks. That’s the end of parenthesis. On March 8th 1941 Glenn wrote to me describing the final chemical proof that the alpha activity belonged to the next element up the periodic table, plutonium. In this correspondence, we did not use the names for the new elements which were not yet official, but referred to 93 and 94, and the March letter was marked ‘confidential’. You see secrecy was already creeping into nuclear research and after that secrecy became absolute and none of these things were published for a long time. Luis Alvarez came from Chicago in 1936 with a lot of clever ideas. He was the originator of the method of getting what is effectively a beam of very slow neutrons by pulsing the cyclotron and getting the detector so that it is only sensitive at some chosen time after the pulse of neutrons has been emitted. With Ken Pitzer he used this method in an investigation of neutron scattering by the two kinds of molecular hydrogen, ortho- and parahydrogen. And with Felix Bloch of Stanford he made the first measurement of the magnetic moment of the neutron. One of the questions at that time was the relative stability of the nuclei hydrogen-3, called tritium, and helium-3, both of which had been observed by Mark Oliphant at the Cavendish laboratory, the products of the bombardment of deuterons by deuterons. Alvarez and Bob Conrad first showed that helium-3 is the stable one by detecting it in atmospheric helium using the cyclotron as a mass spectrometer. Then, knowing that hydrogen-3 must emit beta particles, they looked for activity in deuterium gas bombarded by deuterons and found the activity, establishing tritium as a radioactive isotope. Gilbert Lewis at the university of California, Berkeley Chemistry Department, played a very important role in the laboratory’s history. As soon as the discovery of deuterium was announced, he set up equipment to make heavy water by electrolysis and furnished a sample of heavy water to the laboratory. And in March 1933, the first beam of deuterons was produced by the cyclotron. That was a very important step ... From then on, a major part of the work was with deuterons, which are much more prolific and produce nuclear reactions that are protons or alpha particles. And I say prolific, I mean, firstly the cross sections are larger so that you get more abundant reactions, you also get a greater variety of reactions because the deuteron contains two nucleons and you get more variety also. Lewis, like many associated with the laboratory, was a colourful character, he liked to tell how he fed some of his first heavy water to a fly and it rolled over on its back and winked at him. The second anecdote I have here I heard myself, one day at lunch at the faculty club, Lewis heard some professors in the Department of Education arguing about whether children should be taught to add a column of figures from the top down or from the bottom up. Gilbert Lewis said: I could go on and on. There were many visitors to the laboratory who stayed and worked there for considerable periods of time, like Jim Cork from Michigan, Jerry Kruger from Illinois, Lorenzo Emo, a Count from Italy, Harold Walke and Don Hurst from the Rutherford Laboratory, Wolfgang Gentner from Germany, Maurice Nahmias from France,Sten von Friesen from Sweden, Ryokichi Sagane from Japan and Basanti Nag from India. The working visitors were very important to the laboratory. They not only contributed to the research program but they carried back the cyclotron art to their own institutions. Lawrence actively promoted this diffusion of knowledge and Don Cooksey wrote what we call ‘Cook Books’ of cyclotron lore which were mailed to innocent institutions and many people from the Berkeley laboratory went out to help design and build cyclotrons elsewhere. Milton White went to Princeton, Henry Newson to Chicago, Hugh Paxton to Joliot laboratory in Paris, Jackson Laslett to Copenhagen and Reg Richardson and Bob Thornton to Michigan. So the ability, the knowledge of building cyclotrons was rapidly diffused. And I think this diffusion, if we might call technological knowledge, was very important in the advancement of nuclear science in that time, we’re talking about the ‘30s now. Many of the physicists took part in the running and maintenance of the cyclotron. There were regular crews assigned to this task. I remember being on the owl crew for a while, which did not bother me as I was then a single man with rather nocturnal habits, but it was hard on some of the others I remember. But if anything went wrong, we had to pull the cyclotron apart and try to fix it. The greatest problems were vacuum leaks and the burn out of filaments in the ion source which was inside the cyclotron tank and also in the demandable oscillator tubes that had been built by Dave Sloan. When the ion source filament went out, the vacuum tank of the cyclotron had to be rolled out of the magnet gap, then the waxed joint between the lid and the tank broken and the lid removed, the filament replaced and it all had to be put back together again and the joints sealed up and the air pumped out and so on. Physicists did more than just operate the machine. For example Art Snell and Ken MacKenzie built oscillators, Bob Wilson made the first theoretical study of orbit stability and I designed the control system for the 60-inch cyclotron, I was even doubling as an electrical engineer for a while. This was in 1938 and a new concrete building, Crocker Laboratory, was under construction to house the new larger cyclotron. The laboratory was now starting to expand. Bill Brobeck came in 1937 as the first professional engineer hired by the laboratory, that created a real revolution. No more wax joints that leaked, no more equipment that fell apart in the middle of an important experiment or at least less than before. The string and sealing wax school of physics still has a nostalgic appeal to some old timers like myself. But it’s not suited to large efforts where many people are depending on the reliability of apparatus. Win Salsbury and Bill Baker, both electronic geniuses, took over the designing and building of oscillators and other electronic equipment. Charlie Litton came for a while and taught us many techniques in radio frequency engineering. He had a small company in Redwood city which he later sold to some entrepreneurs from Texas who used it as a nucleus for the giant conglomerate called Litton Industries. Charlie retired to Grass Valley where he spent the rest of his life happily working on various inventions. Interest in biomedical applications started very early, Ernest’s brother John is a physician and Ernest always had an attraction to the field of medicine. I have already spoken about the Sloan x-ray tomb which went into medical use in 1934. The next year John came to Berkeley, John Lawrence that is, John came to Berkeley for the summer and made the first observations of the effects of neutron rays on living organism. Finding the effects greater than those of other forms of radiation and therefore very interesting. And in 1936 he came to stay. Paul Aebersold became the chief physicist for the biomedical group. Making the arrangements for irradiation and measuring the dosage. The first cancer patient was treated in September 1938, with sufficiently encouraging results that the Crocker laboratory was devoted to medical research, although the physicists and chemists got to use it too. There were working visitors in the biomedical field also. Frank Exner from New York, Isidor Lampe from Utah, Raymond Zirkle from Pennsylvania, Al Marshak, Lowell Erf, John Larkin, and many others. Doctor Joseph Hamilton had a separate group studying the distribution of radio isotopes administered to animals and humans. To the smells of hot oil from the cyclotron were added those of animal colonies. As Laslett said in his ‘cyclotron alphabet’, “M stands for mice whose smell makes us moan”. We went through the WPA period. It was during the great depression and the WPA was a scheme by which unemployed people were hired by the government and assigned to governmental bodies or other institutions to perform useful work. This stood for Works Progress Administration, WPA. I have a 1934 letter from Lawrence to the university office, handling this program, requesting for a period of 1 month Some of those who came on this program were real characters. I remember particularly Murray Rosenthal who was an amateur magician, a Swedish draftsman named Hallgren who was so profane that we tried to keep him away from Don Cooksey who objected to his language. And a man who had been with the telephone company, who was very distinguished looking and he liked to go around checking the strength of soldered joints by pulling at the wires with a button hook. Some who were only temporarily down on their luck stayed on and became valuable members of the laboratory staff. Some idea of the financial scale at that time was given by the cost estimate made by Wally Reynolds in 1931 for the installation of the 80 ton magnet. This includes moving the magnet from San Francisco and setting it in place, 4 transformers, a 50 kilowatt motor generator set, a 10 ton crane, concrete peers, labour engineering and contingencies, all for $5.300. It is hard to convey the atmosphere of that time. The world was in a deep depression, there was a general strike in San Francisco in 1934. Some people on the campus took sides during this strike and friendships were broken over this. There was a lot of leftist agitation which later had dire consequences for many scientists. There was not much money around. For seven months, between the end of my fellowship and my appointment to the faculty as instructor, I was a research associate without pay. But we all managed somehow and the laboratory kept going. Lawrence was the driving force and the spirits inside the laboratory were kept high by the excitement of discovery. There was very little organisation, Lawrence was the boss and that seemed to be enough. What a change has taken place since then. The eager youth has grown into an adult with increased powers and problems that come with maturity. So that’s the end of the more or less connected discourse and now comes the slide show. And we used half our time up more or less, so we’ll go on with the slides, could I have the first slide. This is Ernest Lawrence, taken on September 19, 1930, just after he had given the first scientific paper on the cyclotron at a meeting of the National Academy of Sciences on the Berkeley campus. He is holding a glass, brass and wax apparatus with which he and Neils Edlefsen had obtained evidence of ion resonances in a magnetic field encouraging Ernest to go on with the development of the cyclotron idea. From his expression you can see that he has hopes for the future. You see this was in September 1930 and this was before the radiation laboratory was started, but that little apparatus that Lawrence is holding was the thing that gave the first evidence that the cyclotron might work and encouraged the whole thing to go on. Now slide 2. Here are Stan Livingston and Ernest Lawrence standing beside the big magnet in the shop of the Pelton Water Wheel company in San Francisco. This magnet had been built by the Federal Telegraph Company of Palo Alto for use as part of a Poulsen-arc radio transmitter ordered by the Chinese government. But it was never delivered and Leonard Fuller, who was the vice President of the Federal Telegraph Company in Palo Alto, also at the same time chairman of the department of electrical engineering in Berkeley, he arranged for that magnet to be given to the university for the researchers of Lawrence. And, as I said, there it is being converted into a cyclotron magnet, the bottom pole was removed and new poles were built. The core and poles of the magnet had to be changed before it could be used as a cyclotron magnet and that is being done here in late 1931. Stan Livingston made the first cyclotron that worked. After that little model that we showed in the last picture, Livingston took over and built the next model and he made one that really did work and he found a beam of 80,000 electron volt hydrogen, molecular ions. And we heard about hydrogen molecular ions earlier, they’re the simplest molecule, so the first thing accelerated in a cyclotron. He found those on January 2, 1931 in a 4-inch cyclotron. Then he made an 11-inch cyclotron with which in 1932 Milt White confirmed the lithium disintegration results of Cockcroft and Walton. This work was done in Le Conte Hall, but the big magnet needed a larger place to house it. As you all know, Stan was one of the discoverers or inventors of strong focusing without which most of high energy physics could not have been done. So Lawrence invented the cyclotron, Livingston made one work, the first one work and they’re really the creators of this whole business. Slide 3. This shows the old radiation laboratory. It had been a civil engineering testing laboratory, was scheduled to be torn down, but Ernest persuaded President Sproul, the President Sproul of the university, not of the United States. Of course in a university town, as you all know, in the United States, anyway when you say ‘President’ you’ll always mean the President of the university, not of the United States. Ernest persuaded President Sproul to let him have it for his experiments. This occurred on August 26, 1931 in President Sproul’s office. At that time Ernest had the promise of financial support and a formal offer of the magnet, so if one wants to choose a day for a birthday, this could be it. Early in 1932, the name ‘Radiation Laboratory’ was painted on the doors. You can’t see that in that picture, but around the door, the outside doors all said ‘Radiation Laboratory’, way back then in 1932. The magnet was installed in January 1932 and the 27-inch cyclotron, first operated in June of that year ’32. Six years later the magnet poles were enlarged and the 37-inch cyclotron was installed. In a cool record, for November 10, 1937, I found the following form by Martin Kamen and of course Martin Kamen was a man who with Sam Ruben discovered carbon-14. And he also liked to write poetry of this type: The cyclotron is a noble beast, It runs the best when you expect it least, Of all the pleasures known to man, The greatest is a good tight can. And the can he meant the vacuum tank, that’s what we called it. And you remember what I said about the misery of leaks, because it was really, it was misery, you’d spend the whole night, you know trying to find a leak, and then you finally get it fixed and the wax would suck in and you’d have to start all over again. In this building which you see here, there was a large room for the cyclotron and its controls. There was an open court for transformers and switchgear. There was a machine shop and some office space. Whenever there was trouble with the commutator or the generator that supplied the magnet current, I was called in to fix it, I was considered an expert at soldering with a torch in those days. One time I remember that Franz Kurie, when he was starting the motor generator, threw in the switches in the wrong order and blew out the lights in all of Berkeley. That building was the scene of frustration and elation, human as well as scientific drama. Many anecdotes have been told about happenings there, like the times that Ernest Lawrence fired Bill Baker and another occasion he fired Bob Wilson, only to recant and take them back again. But on the whole relations were remarkably harmonious considering the many different temperaments of the people. After the war, the first test of the synchrocyclotron principle were done here in this building and in it Melvin Calvin did his pioneer work on the carbon cycle and photosynthesis. Now we have slide 4. That’s another view of that same building, taken in 1959. It’s being demolished, the demolition proceeding toward you in the last view, in the direction which would have been towards you in the last view, and not much is left of the building, I am standing there, that’s me, sadly viewing the end of an era. Later Crocker Laboratory had to go, too. The chemistry department needed space for more buildings. So that was indeed the end of an era because it was in that old building that the whole business of nuclear physics with cyclotrons, with accelerators, circular accelerators got started. Slide 5. This is the 27-inch cyclotron in 1932. Vacuum chamber you see in the middle, sits between the poles and the magnet and it’s all covered with wax, everything was waxed together in those days. The stow pipe going up in front, that pipe has a wire strung down the middle which connects or carries the collected beam current to a galvanometer on the control table which is out of the picture on the left. And sticking out toward you in the front of the vacuum chamber is the linear amplifier built by Malcolm Henderson which was used to count protons and alpha particles. The magnet windings were cooled by oil in those big circular tanks, they were full of oil that was circulated by a pump. And there was always oil all over everything. One time Luis Alvarez neglected to close a valve after turning off the oil circulating pump and the whole tank of oil ran over and went through the cracks in the floor into the basement. I remember that was a very dramatic incident by a Nobel Prize winner. Slide 6. This shows Ernest at the other side of the cyclotron, also in 1932, that photo has its own date that’s written on that hydrogen tank in front, you can’t read it here but in the original you can read it. Behind Ernest is the oscillator that supplied high frequency power to the cyclotron. You can see that in this picture it uses a commercial vacuum tube but these were expensive and so for quite a while we used home made tubes designed by Dave Sloan and which were demountable, they had a wax joint so that you could take them apart and change filaments. Ernest is recognised as one of the worlds great experimental physicists, but he was not particular adept with his hands and contributed his share in the breakage of apparatus, as did all of us. When some delicate task was to be done, he would turn to someone else and say Now, next slide, 7. This is Dave Sloan with his x-ray tomb which was essentially a test coil and a vacuum tank and was actually, this x-ray tomb was actually the first apparatus installed in that building, you see as I told you the big magnet didn’t go in until ’32 but this went in in ’31. Dave was very important to the laboratory, he could build anything and was full of ingenious ideas. He built large oil diffusion pumps when such items were not obtainable commercially and made the mountable oscillator tubes in which the filaments could be changed by taking apart a wax joint. One time he tried to make a diffusion pump using bismuth vapour, this did not work very well but it was an interesting idea. He was still active at physics international working with high current accelerators, a natural continuation of what he did here. Next slide. Here is another side of the laboratory, the machine shop in the old radiation laboratory. Without shops the laboratory could not operate. We used our own shop and also the shop in Le Conte Hall, the physics department shop and large jobs were sent out to commercial shops. In this view on the left is George Krause and the right is Eric Lehman, working on a cyclotron tank, or at least looking as if they were contemplating working on it. And sitting in front are Don Cooksey, who was very important as a general helper in the laboratory and organiser. Sitting in front are Don Cooksey who made the shops one of his primary concerns and Jack Livingood, the great hunter of radio isotopes. That’s Livingood in the corner. Three men who worked in that shop in the early days, Don Stallings, Jack Kroll and Paul Wells, are still with the laboratory. Now next is slide 9. This shows Art Snell, Franz Kurie and Bernard Kinsey who were, I think, in the Strawberry Canyon pool when this picture was taken, I was almost tempted to say they’re at the Bad Schachen pool but the background is not exactly right for that and the time is not right for that either. Art Snell came from Montreal in 1934, later went to Chicago and is now at Oak Ridge. He was famous as the poet laureate of the laboratory, he would make limericks up for all occasions. When Lawrence was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1939 he sent a wire that said: He also built an oscillator and he discovered radioactive argon, among other things. Franz Kurie, the man in the middle, Franz Kurie seems to be giving a Tarzan yell, but he was actually a very gentle person. He introduced the cloud chamber technique into the laboratory. He made measurements of the energy distribution of beta rays and invented a method of presenting the data for beta ray distributions that made it easy to determine the upper limit of the energy. This is now known as the Kurie plot and has been widely used. In an investigation of the disintegration of nitrogen by neutrons he found some unusual tracks which could be interpreted as being due to the capture of slow neutrons and the emission of protons resulting in the formation of carbon-14. This observation of Kurie’s served as a clue in finding the best method of making carbon 14, which as you might guess from what I have said, is the capture of small neutrons by nitrogen. For quite a long time I had a bottle of ammonium nitrate, sitting near the cyclotron target, hoping eventually to separate out carbon and see if it was active. This bottle got knocked over and broken and I never put one back. People considered it to be a nuisance and some were even afraid that it might explode. There had been some large explosions involving ammonium nitrate. But I don’t think a small laboratory bottle was that dangerous. When carbon-14 was eventually identified and carbon bombarded by deuterons, Kamen and Ruben then tried neutrons on nitrogen and they never went back to the carbon bombardments in which the yields were smaller and the active carbon was diluted by all the ordinary carbon. Franz Kurie later was the director of the US navy radio and sound laboratory in San Diego. And the third man, Bernard Kinsey was a commonwealth fellow from England. He built a linier accelerator for lithium ions. There are many stories about Bernard, he had a high temper and a very complicated and colourful form of swearing, really a high art. He was here at this celebration and perhaps he might be persuaded to give us, not this celebration, but the one where I gave this first. He was here at this celebration and perhaps he might be persuaded to give us an example. There was another commonwealth fellow at the university named Brown who was probably the laziest man I ever knew, I don’t think he ever did anything. When I saw him around the faculty club where I was living at the time, he obviously was not in the laboratory, Ernest would have thrown him out. Now we come to slide 10. This is the Crocker laboratory that I mentioned earlier. Old radiation laboratory is off to the right, across an alley and the 60-inch cyclotron resided in the high bay at the rear of that building. This was called the medical cyclotron but, as I have said, others used it. It went into operation in 1939, giving deuterons of about 9 million electron volts. Under the supervision of Doctor Joseph Hamilton it was used extensively for making radio isotopes for medical and tracer uses. Now the next slide. Here is the 60-inch cyclotron, Don Cooksey and Ken Green. You see that it’s much neater looking than the earlier cyclotrons. Bill Brobeck was our first engineer, he had his influence. The structure projecting at the right was a pair of tanks that held the dee stems which formed a resonant system. The oscillators were on the balcony at the right. You’ll notice a coil of heavy cable at the top, that coil stuff up there, this carried high voltage to the deflector plate from the rectifier built by Ed Lofgren. The reason for the coil is that high voltage cables usually fail at the ends and are very hard to splice. So the coil gave plenty of slack for making repairs. Next slide. This is looking through the window into the control room of the 60-inch cyclotron, you see Bill Brobeck, our engineer on the left and Bob Wilson smoking his pipe, Bob Wilson of course now is the director of the Fermi laboratory, Batavia, Illinois. And then there’s Ernest Lawrence and a couple of other characters. One of them is me and the one behind I don’t remember who that was. This temporary set up that mars the neatness of the control table was a bread board model of an automatic magnet current regulator that was being tested. Next slide. This shows a group of people, the man on the left, I don’t know who that is. Then comes Ernest Lawrence holding the manuscript. Dale Corson, physicist who is now President of Cornel university. Winfield Salisbury our electronic genius and Luis Alvarez who is one of the laureates. Corson participated in the discovery of astatine and is now the President of Cornel university. Salisbury has had a distinguished career in industry and the academic world since leaving the laboratory. He made very valuable contributions to radar counter measures during the war. Luis, as you know, went on to win the Nobel Prize in physics and so on. Next slide. This shows John Lawrence, brother of Ernest Lawrence, taken in 1936 with rows of mouse cages in the background which is a proper setting for a biomedical researcher. I will not say anymore about the biological medical research which will be covered by another speaker on the program this was on. Slide 15. Again there are mouse cages, this time with mice in them, but the date is later, 1939, and the person is different, Doctor Joseph Hamilton. Doctor Hamilton had a set up in Crocker laboratory where he worked with radio isotopes on medical and biological studies. His work was quite pioneer work, showing the paths of the heavy elements in animals and in man. Joe’s lunch table at the faculty club was noted for the interesting conversations on many subjects. I remember that he had a special table, a sort of a ‘stammtisch’ and I used to sit there and we discussed everything. Next. All was not hard work, we had fun, too. There was an Italian restaurant called Di Biasi’s, in a small town near Berkeley and the Di Biasi parties were famous yearly affairs in the laboratory. And that was when we would let off steam and have fun. Here is Paul Aebersold who is the man who was the physicist who worked with the biologist and the medical people in the setting up, measuring of dosages and setting up of patients and so on. The one holding the cake there, Paul Aebersold had an irrepressible sense of humour and was always the master of ceremonies. This party in 1939 was in celebration of the 60-inch cyclotron and Paul was presenting a cake in the shape of a cyclotron with the words "8 billion volts or bust". That was supposed to be a wild exaggeration but the Bevatron has not been invented yet. You remember it was just a few years later that we had 6 billion volts, which was almost this number given then as an impossible exaggeration. Lawrence is on the left foreground and the man in the middle foreground, Sten von Friesen, one of our visitors from Sweden. Next Slide. Also at the same party, the man on the left is Martin Kamen, looking puzzled about something, then there’s Sten von Friesen next, Bob Cornog, who worked with Alvarez and the discovery of hydrogen-3. Then there’s Ken MacKenzie is on the left background. It’s a little dark for this, on the right there in the background, Mrs Lawrence, Ernest’s wife, flanked by two distinguished visitors, Vannevar Bush on our left and Alfred Loomis on our right. Alfred was a great friend of Ernest and the laboratory and helped in many ways. Next slide. That’s Lorenzo Emo Capodilista who was the count from Italy that I mentioned, who was one of the colourful characters of the early days. He came to the laboratory in 1935 and stayed several years. He did not use the last name, Capodilista, which means 'head of the list', which his apparently a name of very great antiquity in Italy, he was a very fine fellow. Slide 19. This is Charlie Litton, the man who came and helped us in many technological aspects and whose name was used in connection with Litton industries. He was working with a glass slade which he made himself, the main thing, his original product was glass slades like that. Next slide. This is Maurice Nahmias from Joliot-Curie’s laboratory in France, posing with the vacuum chamber for the 37-inch cyclotron in 1937. Next slide. That’s Henry Newson, who came from Chicago in 1934, the PhD in chemistry, I think he fits in very well with this group here. Came as a PhD in chemistry but became a physicist, he did some very ingenious experiments using recoil of artificially produced radioactive nuclei. This picture was taken in 1938. Next slide. This is Ernest and Molly Lawrence with their first two children, Eric and Margaret, they ended up having six but this was the beginning. This was taken on the steps of the Crocker lab in 1939. Next slide. This is Ernest Lawrence writing the script for a movie about his Nobel Prize in 1939, he’s simply using the fender of a car as a desk there and writing the script. Now let’s go on to next slide. That is Lee de Forest, the inventor, the man who put the grid in the vacuum tomb, who visited the laboratory. We had many distinguished visitors in the laboratory and I included two shots, there’s de Forest. Now I can show you the next slide, which is Diego Rivera with Lawrence. Diego Rivera of course was the Mexican mural painter and he came to San Francisco and painted a mural on the wall of one of the buildings there. And I remember going over and watching him working on it. We’re coming to the end. Next slide. That will do, that should be 90 degrees around but it will do. That’s one of the original 1934 Lauritsen electroscopes that I built when I first came to the laboratory in ’34 and used for that early work. And by some strange miracle two of those things survive, they still exist, they still even work and I put in a picture of one of them. Next slide. That’s Glenn Seaborg on the occasion of receiving his PhD in 1937. That gets in ahead of this cut off date of 1940 for this thing. The next slide is me, that’s taken at a press conference held in Crocker laboratory on June 8th, 1940. The announcement of the discovery of neptunium, the first transuranium element. And they took a picture of me really making like a chemist there. Next slide. I found this slide in the archives and I couldn’t resist putting it in to end the slide show. I call it “On the beach”. Somewhere on the Sacramento delta, John Lawrence, Paul Aebersold and I are enjoying the sun with some girls. Now, if you were to look at that a while, maybe the sun will shine here. At this point I will end.

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren, ich möchte mit einer kurzen Erklärung beginnen. Der Vortrag, den ich Ihnen heute halten werde, wurde ursprünglich zur Feier des 45jährigen Bestehens des Lawrence Labors in Berkeley geschrieben, die im letzten Jahr stattfand. Er sollte in einer als anekdotisch zu beschreibenden Form einen kurzen geschichtlichen Abriss geben, d. h. er behandelt sein Thema nicht auf strenge, sondern eher auf unterhaltsame Weise. Er beschäftigt sich ein wenig mit der wissenschaftlichen Geschichte des Labors, doch größtenteils handelt er von den Personen und davon, was in der Geschichte des Labors geschehen ist. Nach dieser kurzen Erläuterung beginne ich nun mit dem Vortrag, wie ich ihn gehalten habe. Es wird sich dabei um eine Multimedia-Präsentation handeln. Ich werde zunächst mit einer mehr oder weniger zusammenhängenden Darstellung beginnen und mit einer Diashow enden. Wenn ich von den Anfängen rede, so meine ich den Zeitraum bis zum Ende des Jahres 1940. Zu dieser Zeit machten sich viele Menschen in den USA über den Krieg in Europa große Sorgen. Einige hatten das Labor verlassen, um eine mit dem Krieg zusammenhängende Arbeit zu übernehmen, und schon bald übernahm auch das Labor selbst für den Krieg relevante Aufgaben. Ein großes Projekt für Friedenszeiten wurde im Jahre 1940 begonnen: das 184-Zoll-Zyklotron. Doch erst nach dem Krieg nahm das Projekt seine ursprüngliche Zielsetzung wieder auf. Der Berg über dem großen C - ich sollte erklären, dass es in Berkeley hinter der Stadt einen Berg gibt. Dort steht ein großes C (für „California“), das von den Studenten aufgestellt wurde. Der Ort über dem großen C wurde als Standort ausgewählt und Ende des Jahres 1940 war das Magnetfundament fertiggestellt und die untere Spule befand sich an Ort und Stelle. Dies war der Beginn der ersten Expansion des Labors über die Grenzen des Universitäts-geländes hinaus. Dieses Stadium des Labors und seine Vergrößerung gehören in einen Zeitraum, mit dem ich mich hier nicht beschäftigen werde. Die Errichtung des Strahlungslabors war die persönliche Leistung von Ernest Lawrence. Es war seine Idee. Er erhielt die finanzielle Unterstützung, organisierte die technische Ausrüstung, zog die Mitarbeiter an und lieferte natürlich die Grundidee: das Zyklotron. Viele andere Personen leisteten auf vielfältige Weise entscheidende Hilfe. Ich könnte den Universitätspräsidenten Sproul nennen und Leonard Fuller von der bundesstaatlichen Telefongesellschaft in der Universität, der die Spende eines großen Magneten für die 27 Zoll- und die 37-Zoll-Zyklotrone organisierte. Frederick Cottrell und Howard Poillon von der Forschungsgesellschaft. Und Francis Garvan von der Stiftung für Chemie, der auf Ernests Antrag auf Forschungsgelder wohlwollend reagierte. Raymond Birge, der 1932 Direktor des Instituts für Physik wurde. Donald Cooksey aus Yale, Stan Livingston, und viele andere. Doch es war das Labor von Lawrence. Diejenigen von uns, die in den Anfangstagen des Labors dort arbeiteten, erinnern sich noch daran, dass Ernest immer „DER BOSS“ war, und zwar in Großbuchstaben. Das war eine wichtige Unterscheidung. Er konnte mit Leuten sehr streng umgehen, wenn er den Eindruck hatte, dass sie nicht ihr Äußerstes gaben. Doch wog er dies durch die Großzügigkeit seines Lobes und dadurch auf, dass er für Ideen sorgte. Ich bin Rutherford nie begegnet, doch man hat mir gesagt, dass er denselben Charakter hatte, allerdings mit einem wichtigen Unterschied: Rutherford bevorzugte den einzelnen Forscher, der mit einfachen Apparaten arbeitete. Lawrence glaubte hingegen an Aufgaben, die so umfangreich waren, dass sie nur durch Teamarbeit zu bewältigen waren. Anfänglich stand hierauf eine Strafe. Die Bemühungen um größere Energie im Strahlstrom waren so fieberhaft, dass die Leute kaum Zeit zum Nachdenken hatten. So wurden wichtige Entdeckungen versäumt und einige Fehler gemacht. Doch diese Phase ging bald vorüber. Alles in allem glaube ich, dass Lawrence Recht hatte. Die schnelle Entwicklung des Zyklotrons war für die Nuklearforschung wichtiger als die Frage, wer welche Entdeckung gemacht hatte. Das Labor entstand 1931, und als ich gegen Ende des Jahres 1932 nach Berkeley kam, arbeitete es auf vollen Touren. Es gab dort nicht nur das 27-Zoll-Zyklotron, das Protonen von etwa 2 MeV lieferte, sondern auch die Sloan-Röntgenstrahlröhre, in die man, was ihren Nutzen für die Krebstherapie betraf, große Hoffnungen setzte. Außerdem hatte das Labor ein paar Linearbeschleuniger vom Widerøe-Typ, die von Dave Sloan, West Coates und Bernard Kinsey gebaut und eingesetzt wurden. Die Sloan-Röntgenstrahlröhre wurde in der klinischen Medizin viele Jahre lang verwendet, das Konzept des Linearbeschleunigers wurde jedoch aufgegeben. Während der Kriegsjahre wurde es später durch neue Ideen aus der Radarentwicklung wiederbelebt. Tatsächlich war das Labor Tag und Nacht ein sehr geschäftiger Ort, besonders wenn Ernest anwesend war, und das hieß: meistens. Ich begann mit meiner Forschung in Le Conte Hall, dem Physikgebäude der Universität von Kalifornien in Berkeley. Meine ersten Forschungen in Le Conte Hall beschäftigten sich mit dem Problem eines Molekülstrahls, doch ich gab sie auf, als das Ergebnis, das ich suchte, anderswo gefunden wurde. Ich trat daraufhin im Frühjahr des Jahres 1934 in die faszinierende Welt des Strahlungslabors ein. Stan Livingston, der Zyklotronfachmann und Telesio Lucci, ein pensionierter Kommandant der italienischen Marine, der ein vielgeliebter genereller Assistent und ein Faktotum war, gaben mir weisen Rat in der Frage, wie ich mich benehmen sollte. Da meine bisherige Erfahrung die eines Einzelforschers war, musste ich die Kunst der Teamarbeit erst lernen. Dies war offenbar keine einfache Sache, da niemand die verschiedenen Aufgaben, die zur Aufrechterhaltung des Zyklotronbetriebs erledigt werden mussten, routinemäßig koordinierte. Es gab zwei Gefahren: Man konnte entweder seine Pflichten vernachlässigen oder anderen im Wege stehen, indem man etwas zu tun versuchte, was jemand anderes tun sollte. Robert Oppenheimer war der leitende theoretische Berater des Labors, und er schlug vor, ich solle die Gammastrahlen untersuchen, die beim Beschuss leichter Elemente mit Protonen und Deuteronen erzeugt werden. Dies sollte sich als ein wichtiges Experiment heraustellen, denn ich entdeckte einen 5,5 MeV Gammastrahl, der beim Beschuss von Fluor mit Protonen entstand. Mit seiner Hilfe konnte ich die neue Theorie von Bethe und Heitler zur Absorbtion von Gammastrahlen durch Paarproduktion testen. Das Forschungsinteresse des Labors galt damals hauptsächlich den nuklearen Reaktionen, die man durch die Beobachtung der Protonen und Alpha-Teile studierte, die während eines Beschusses emittiert wurden. Sie wurden mithilfe einer schmalen Ionisationskammer nachgewiesen, die an einen für die Beobachtung von Gammastrahlen nicht geeigneten, linearen Verstärker angeschlossen war. Geigerzähler hielt man für unzuverlässig. Stan Livingston erzählt in einem Vortrag, den er 1967 in Texas gehalten hat, was am 24. Februar 1934 geschah, als das Labor von der Entdeckung der künstlichen Radioaktivität durch Joliot-Curie erfuhr. Sie verwendeten zum Zählen von Alpha-Teilchen einen Geigerpunktzähler (geiger point counter), ein Gerät, das uns heute ebenso exotisch vorkommt wie der Kohärer zur Zählung von Alpha-Teilchen. Es handelte sich dabei nicht um den geläufigen, zylindrischen Geiger-Müller-Zähler. Der Einfachheit halber wurden der Zyklotronoszillator und der Zählerschaltkreis zur Zeitsteuerung durch die beiden Pole eines doppelpoligen Messerschalters ein- und ausgeschaltet. Innerhalb einer halben Stunde wurde die Schaltanordnung so geändert, dass der Zähler eingeschaltet sein konnte, während das Zykloton ausgeschaltet war. Die Spannung des Zählers wurde so geändert, dass er Beta-Teilchen registrieren konnte. Das innere Zielrad wurde gedreht, um ein Kohlenstoff-Target in den Strahl zu bringen. Die Radioaktivität von Stickstoff-13 war zwar vorhanden, sie wurde allerdings durch eine andere Reaktion verursacht als diejenige, die seine Entdecker verwendeten. Anfänglich konnte diese Radioaktivität nicht beobachtet werden, was dem Labor einen Schlag versetzte, und so kam es zu einer natürlichen Reaktion gegen alle Geigerzähler. Das erste, was ich nach meinem Eintritt in das Labor unternahm, war eine Reise nach Pasadena, um von Charlie Lauritsen selbst zu lernen, wie man mit Quarzfasern ein Elektroskop baut. Ich hatte mein erstes Lauritsen-Elektroskop, das zur Erkennung von Gammastrahlen in einer Bleikugelkammer montiert war, erst seit wenigen Tagen, als Malcolm Henderson Mitte Mai zu mir kam und mir die Neuigkeit brachte, dass man in Rom durch Neutronen induzierte Radioaktivität entdeckt hatte. Er wollte mein Elektroskop verwenden, um sich einige dieser Abläufe anzuschauen. Es dauerte nur eine Weile, bis wir aus einer Blechdose mit einem dünnen Aluminium-fenster eine weitere Kammer angefertigt hatten, und die Blechdosenversion des Lauritsen-Elektroskops wurde zu einem wertvollen Instrument für die Beobachtung von Betastrahlen. Jack Livingood baute ein gleichartiges Elektroskop. Er verwendete es in einer äußerst umfangreichen Untersuchung, die er zusammen mit Seaborg und anderen durchführte. Sie untersuchten die Reaktionen, die bei vielen Elementen durch den Beschuss mit Deuteronen ausgelöst wurden. Dies führte in so kurzen Zeitabständen zur Entdeckung weiterer radioaktiver Isotope, dass dies mit der Häufigkeit neuer Entdeckungen in Rom vergleichbar war, nachdem Fermi die erste von Neutronen induzierte Radioaktivität beobachtet hatte. Einige der von ihnen entdeckten Isotope, wie zum Beispiel Jod-131, Eisen-59, Kobalt-60 und Technetium-99m, wurden in medizinischen und anderen Anwendungen sehr wichtig. Auf dem Gebiet der künstlichen Radioaktivität kam es zu einer großen Zunahme der Forschungsaktivität. Die Namen der Forscher sind zu zahlreich, um vollständig aufgeführt werden zu können. Stan Livingston und ich fanden eine radioaktive Form von Sauerstoff und Lawrence fand Kalium-24, was für eine Sensation sorgte, weil sich davon Proben mit hoher Radioaktivität herstellen ließen. Lawrence ließ dann sein Zyklotron-Team rund um die Uhr arbeiten, um für Demonstrationszwecke eine Probe mit einer Radioaktivität von 1 Curie herzustellen. Das war eine schwere Aufgabe. Jackson Laslett fand Kalium-22. Es hatte zunächst die längste Lebensdauer eines künstlich hergestellten radioaktiven Elements, wurde aber schon bald übertroffen. Martin Kamen und Sam Ruben fanden Kohlenstoff-14, das vielleicht wichtigste radioaktive Element von allen, usw. Außerdem wurden neue Arten von Aktivität entdeckt. Van Voorhis fand heraus, dass Kupfer-64 durch das Emittieren negativer oder positiver Elektronen zerfallen konnte. Dies war das erste bekannte Beispiel dieser Art von radioaktivem Zerfall. Und Luis Alvarez entdeckte die Art des Zerfalls, bei der ein Elektron aus einem inneren Orbital der Elektronenhülle eingefangen wird. Heute handelt es sich hierbei um einen bekannten Vorgang. Zu den neuen Vorgängen gehörten einige, die zu Atomzahlen führten, die von denen aller bekannten Elemente verschieden waren, sodass es sich um die Entstehung neuer Elemente handelte. Das erste von ihnen wurde 1937 von Emilio Segré und Carlo Perrier entdeckt. Sie arbeiteten in Palermo mit einem Stück Molybden, das sich an der Vorderkante einer Deflektorplatte im Zyklotron befunden hatte, wo es einem intensiven Beschuss ausgesetzt war. Segré hatte es nach einem Besuch im Sommer des Jahres 1936 mit nachhause genommen. Sie fanden darin das Element 43, das sie, nach dem griechischen Wort für „künstlich“, Technetium nannten, da es das erste künstlich hergestellte Element war. Element 85 wurde als nächstes künstlich hergestellt. Es wurde nach dem griechischen Wort für „instabil“ Astatin genannt wurde. Es wurde 1940 von Segré, Dale Corson und Ken MacKenzie gefunden. Wenig später im selben Jahr 1940 kam Phil Abelson, der ein Doktorand von Lawrence gewesen war, für einen kurzen Besuch zurück nach Berkeley und lieferte das fehlende Glied in der chemischen Bestimmung einer Aktivität, die in Uran durch den Beschuss mit Neutronen ausgelöst wurde und die ich schon seit einiger Zeit zu enträtseln versucht hatte. Ich habe sie in der Einleitung erwähnt. Dies war, wie ich erwartet hatte, das erste Element der Transurane. Ich nannte es nach dem Planeten Neptun Neptunium, ebenso wie Uran nach dem Planeten Uranus benannt worden war. Nachdem Phil Abelson wieder gegangen war, setzte ich die Arbeit fort und versuchte nun auch Uran mit Deuteronen zu beschießen. Dies führte zu einer Reihe anderer Isotope von Neptunium, als der Beschuss mit Neutronen, und ich fand Alpha-Teilchen-Aktivität, was auf das Vorhandensein des nächsten Elements der Transurane hindeutete. Denn nachdem man das Beta-Teilchen erhalten hatte, wäre der nächste Schritt normalerweise ein Alpha-Teilchen, und das ließ einen erwarten, dass dies das nächste sein würde. Ich nahm einige chemische Trennungen vor und konnte auf diese Weise zeigen, dass die Alpha-Aktivität nicht zu Uran oder Neptunium gehörte. Doch ich führte diese Untersuchung nicht zuende, weil mich Ernest Lawrence dazu überredete, für ein paar Wochen an das Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) zu gehen, um dabei zu helfen, ein neues Labors für die Entwicklung von Mikrowellen-Radar einzurichten. Es wurde damals noch nicht Radar genannt. Dieses Wort wurde erst später eingeführt; doch wir begannen über Radar zu arbeiten. Als Deckname wurde das neue Labor das Strahlungslabor genannt. Es gab also zwei Strahlungslabors. Das sorgte manchmal für Verwirrung. Ich verließ Berkeley am 11. November 1940 und reiste mit dem Zug nach Boston. Am 28. November schrieb mir Glenn Seaborg, dass Art Wall einige sehr stark strahlende Neptunium-Proben hergestellt und gesagt hatte: In meiner Antwort am 8. Dezember sage ich: und es würde mich sehr freuen, wenn ihr an 93 und 94 weiterarbeiten könntet.“ Nun, nebenbei bemerkt, „so bald nicht“ sollte 5 Jahre bedeuten. Erst danach kehrte ich auf Dauer nach Berkeley zurück. Ernests Schätzung von ein paar Wochen habe ich nie geglaubt. Dies ist das Ende der Nebenbemerkung. Am 8. März 1941 schrieb mir Glenn und beschrieb den endgültigen chemischen Beweis dafür, dass die Alpha-Aktivität zum nächsten Element des Periodensystems gehörte, zu Plutonium. In diesem Briefwechsel verwendeten wir noch nicht die Namen der neuen Elemente, die noch nicht offiziell waren, sondern wir sprachen von 93 und 94, und der Brief vom März war mit dem Hinweis „vertraulich“ versehen. Wie Sie sehen, hielt Geheimhaltung bereits Einzug in die Kernforschung. Danach wurde die Geheimhaltung absolut, und für lange Zeit wurden keine dieser Dinge veröffentlicht. Er war der Erfinder der Methode, mit der sich das erzeugen ließ, was im Wesentlichen ein Strahl mit sehr langsamen Neutronen war. Dies gelang ihm durch das Pulsieren des Zyklotrons und dadurch, dass er den Detektor so einstellte, dass er nur zu einer bestimmten festgelegten Zeit nach der Emission des Neutronenpuls empfindlich war. Zusammen mit Ken Pitzer verwendete er diese Methode in einer Untersuchung der Neutronenstreuung durch die beiden Arten von molekularem Wasserstoff: von ortho- und para-Wasserstoff. Und mit Felix Bloch aus Stanford gelang ihm erstmals die Messung des magnetischen Moments des Neutrons. Eine der sich damals stellenden Fragen betraf die relative Stabilität der Kerne von – als Tritium bezeichnetem – Wasserstoff-3 und von Helium-3. Beide waren von Mark Oliphant am Cavendish Labor beobachtet worden. Sie waren die Produkte des Beschusses von Deuteronen mit Deuteronen. Alvarez und Bob Conrad zeigten als erste, dass Helium-3 stabiler ist, indem sie es Als sie daraufhin wussten, dass Wasserstoff-3 Beta-Teilchen emittieren muss, suchten sie nach Radioaktivität in mit Deuteronen beschossenem Deuteriumgas und fanden sie. So bestätigten sie, dass Tritium ein radioaktives Isotop ist. Gilbert Lewis am chemischen Institut der UC Berkeley spielte eine sehr wichtige Rolle in der Geschichte des Labors. Sobald die Entdeckung von Deuterium bekannt gegeben wurde, baute er Geräte auf, mit denen er durch Elekrolyse schweres Wasser erzeugen wollte, und er gab dem Labor eine Probe dieses schweren Wassers. Und im März 1933 wurde durch das Zyklotron der erste Strahl von Deuteronen erzeugt. Dies war ein sehr wichtiger Schritt. Von da an fand ein großer Teil der Arbeit mit Deuteronen statt. Sie sind viel ergiebiger und erzeugen Kernreaktionen, bei denen Protonen und Alpha-Teilchen entstehen. Ich sage „ergiebiger“, weil ich meine, dass erstens ihre Querschnitte größer sind, sodass man mehr Reaktionen erhält. Außerdem erhält man eine größere Vielfalt von Reaktionen, weil das Deuteron zwei Nukleonen enthält und man außerdem eine größere Vielfalt von Teilchen erhält. Lewis war, wie viele mit dem Labor assoziierte Personen, eine sehr schillernde Persönlichkeit. Er erzählte gern die Geschichte, wie er einer Fliege sein erstes schweres Wasser gefüttert hatte, und wie diese auf den Rücken gerollt sei und ihm zugezwinkert habe. Die zweite Anekdote habe ich selbst miterlebt. Eines Tages hörte Lewis während des Mittagessens im Faculty Club, wie sich einige Professoren darüber stritten, ob man Kindern beibringen sollte eine Zahlenspalte von oben nach unten oder von unten nach oben zu addieren. Lewis sagte daraufhin: Ich addiere sie zuerst von oben nach unten, dann von unten nach oben und dann nehme ich den Durchschnitt.“ Ich könnte Ihnen noch zahllose weitere Anekdoten erzählen. Das Labor wurde von zahlreichen Wissenschaftlern besucht, die dort für lange Zeit blieben und arbeiteten, u.a. von Jim Cork aus Michigan, Jerry Kruger aus Illinois, Lorenzo Emo, einem italienischen Graf, Harold Walke und Don Hurst vom Rutherford Labor, Wolfgang Gentner aus Germany, Maurice Nahmias aus Frankreich, Sten von Friesen aus Schweden, Ryokichi Sagane aus Japan und von Basanti Nag aus Indien. Die arbeitenden Besucher waren für das Labor sehr wichtig. Sie trugen nicht nur zum Forschungsprogramm bei, sondern sie nahmen die Fähigkeit, mit einem Zyklotron zu arbeiten, zu ihren eigenen Instituten mit zurück. Lawrence förderte diese Diffusion von Wissen aktiv, und Don Cooksey schrieb, was wir als „Kochbücher“ für die Arbeit mit dem Zyklotron bezeichneten. Sie wurden an nichtsahnende Institute verschickt, und viele Mitarbeiter des Berkeley Labors besuchten andere Einrichtungen, um an anderen Orten beim Design und der Herstellung von Zyklotronen behilflich zu sein. Milton White ging nach Princeton, Henry Newson nach Chicago, Hugh Paxton an das Joliot-Labor in Paris, Jackson Laslett nach Kopenhagen und Reg Richardson und Bob Thornton nach Michigan. Die Fähigkeit Zyklotrone zu bauen und das dazu erforderliche Know-how wurden schnell unter die Leute gebracht. Und ich glaube, dass diese Weitergabe von technischem Wissen, wie man es nennen mag, für den Fortschritt der Kernwissenschaft zum damaligen Zeitpunkt sehr wichtig war. Wir reden hier von den 1930er Jahren. Am Betrieb und der Wartung des Zyklotrons beteiligten sich zahlreiche Physiker. Für diese Aufgabe wurden eigens zuständige Teams eingeteilt. Ich erinnere mich, eine Zeit lang dem Eulen-Team zugeteilt worden zu sein, was mich nicht weiter störte, weil ich damals ein nachtarbeitender Junggeselle war. Für einige der anderen war es, wenn ich mich recht erinnere, allerdings ziemlich schwer. Wenn irgendein Problem vorlag, mussten wir das Zyklotron auseinandernehmen und versuchen es zu reparieren. Die größten Schwierigkeiten machten undichte Stellen, die das Vakuum beeinträchtigten, und das Abbrennen der Filamente in der Eisenquelle, die sich im Inneren des Zyklotrontanks sowie in den benötigten Oszillatorröhren befanden, die von Dave Sloan gebaut worden waren. Wenn das Eisenquellfilament erlosch, musste der Vakuumtank des Zyklotrons aus der Magnetlücke gerollt werden, dann die gewachste Verbindung zwischen der Abdeckung und dem Tank geöffnet und die Abdeckung entfernt werden. Anschließend musste das Filament ersetzt und alles wieder zusammengefügt werden: Die Verbindungen mussten wieder versiegelt, die Luft hausgepumpt werden, usw. Die Physiker bedienten jedoch nicht nur das Gerät. Art Snell und Ken MacKenzie bauten zum Beispiel Oszillatoren, Bob Wilson führte die erste theoretische Untersuchung der Stabilität von Umlaufbahnen durch und ich entwarf das Steuerungssystem für das 60-Zoll-Zyklotron. Ein Zeit lang übernahm ich zusätzlich noch die Aufgaben eines Elektroingenieurs. Dies war im Jahre 1938, und ein neues Betongebäude, das Crockery Labor, befand sich im Bau, um das neue, größere Zyklotron beherbergen zu können. Das Labor begann nun größer zu werden. Das führte zu einer wahren Revolution: keine undichten Wachsverbindungen mehr, keine Geräte, die mitten in einem wichtigen Experiment auseinanderfielen. Zumindest geschah dies nicht mehr so oft wie früher. Die „Faden-und-Wachs“-Schule der Physik hat für Oldtimer wie mich noch immer eine nostalgische Anziehungskraft, doch für größere Projekte, bei denen zahlreiche Leute von der Zuverlässigkeit von Geräten abhängen, eignet sie sich nicht. Win Salsbury und Bill Baker, beides Elektronik-Genies, übernahmen das Design und die Herstellung von Oszillatoren und anderen elektronischen Geräten. Eine Zeit lang kam Charlie Litton zu uns und zeigte uns zahlreiche Methoden der technischen Nutzung von Radiofrequenzen. Er besaß ein kleines Unternehmen in Redwood City, das er später an einige Unternehmer aus Texas verkaufte, die es zum Kern eines riesigen Konglomerats namens Litton Industries machten. Charlie verbrachte seinen Ruhestand in Grass Valley, wo er den Rest seines Lebens damit verbrachte, glücklich an einer Reihe unterschiedlicher Erfindungen zu arbeiten. Das Interesse an biomedizinischen Anwendungen entstand schon sehr früh. Ernests Bruder war Arzt und Ernest fühlte sich schon immer von der medizinischen Wissenschaft angezogen. Von der Sloan-Röntgenstrahlröhre, die ab 1934 in der Medizin zum Einsatz kam, habe ich bereits gesprochen. Im Jahr danach kam John für den Sommer nach Berkeley und stellte die ersten Beobachtungen zu den Auswirkungen der Neutronenstrahlen auf lebende Organismen an. Er stellte fest, dass diese Wirkungen stärker als bei anderen Formen der Strahlung und daher äußerst interessant waren. Paul Aebersold wurde der leitende Physiker der biomedizinischen Gruppe. Er traf die Vorkehrungen für Bestrahlungen und maß die Dosierung. Der erste Krebspatient wurde im September 1938 behandelt. Die Ergebnisse waren ermutigend genug, sodass das Crocker Labor sich der medizinischen Forschung widmete, obwohl es auch von Physikern und Chemikern genutzt werden durfte. Auch im biomedizinischen Bereich gab es „Arbeitsbesucher“. Frank Exner aus New York, Isidor Lampe aus Utah, Raymond Zirkle aus Pennsylvania, Al Marshak, Lowell Erf, John Larkin und viel andere. Dr. Joseph Hamilton leitete eine separate Gruppe, die untersuchte, auf welche Weise sich die Tieren und Menschen verabreichten radioaktiven Isotope im Körper verteilten. Zu den Gerüchen von heißem Öl, die das Zyklotron verursachte, kamen die von Tierkolonien hinzu. Wie Laslett es in seinem „Zyklotron-Alphabet“ sagte: Dann durchlebten wir die Zeit der WPA. Es war die Zeit während der Großen Depression, und die WPA war eine Regierungsprogramm, durch das Arbeitslose von der Regierung angestellt und Regierungsbehörden und anderen Institutionen zugewiesen wurden, um nützliche Arbeiten durchzuführen. WPA stand für „Works Progress Administration“ (Arbeitsfortschittsverwaltung). Ich bin im Besitz eines Briefes von Lawrence an die dieses Progamm organisierende Universitätsverwaltung aus dem Jahre 1934, in dem er für den Zeitraum von 1 Monat „(1) einen promovierten Physiker mit mehrjähriger Forschungserfahrung, Einige der Leute, die an diesem Programm teilnahmen, waren prägnante Gestalten. Besonders erinnere ich mich an Murray Rosenthal, der ein Hobby-Zauberer war, an einen schwedischen Zeichner namens Hallgren, der eine so lockere Ausdrucksweise hatte, dass wir versuchten, ihn von Don Cooksey fernzuhalten, der gegen seine Kraftausdrücke protestierte, und an einen Mann, der bei der Telefongesellschaft gearbeitet hatte, der ein sehr distinguiertes Aussehen hatte. Er liebte es, im Labor herumzugehen und mit einem Knopfhaken kräftig an Lötverbindungen zu ziehen, um zu überprüfen, wie fest sie waren. Einige, die nur vorübergehend eine schwierige Zeit durchmachten, blieben bei uns und wurden geschätzte Mitarbeiter des Labors. Eine ungefähre Vorstellung von den Geldern, um die es damals ging, erhält man durch die 1931 von Wally Reynolds vorgenommene Schätzung der Kosten für die Installation des 80 Tonnen schweren Magneten. Hierzu gehörten die Kosten seines Transports von San Francisco nach Berkeley und seine Installation an Ort und Stelle, die Kosten für 4 Transformatoren, einen Motorgeneratorsatz von 50 Kilowatt, einen 10 Tonnen schweren Kran, Betonpfeiler, Arbeitskräfteentwicklung sowie ein Budget für unvorhergesehene Kosten. Dies entsprach Gesamtkosten von 5300 Dollar. Es ist sehr schwer, eine Vorstellung von der Atmosphäre der damaligen Zeit zu vermitteln. Die Welt befand sich in einer tiefen Depression. Einige Leute an der Universität bezogen während des Streiks Position für die eine oder andere Seite. Freundschaften sind daran zerbrochen. Es gab eine intensive linksgerichtete Agitation, die für viele Wissenschaftler später schlimme Konsequenzen hatte. Kaum jemand hatte damals Geld. Sieben Monate lang, zwischen dem Ende meines Fellowships und meiner Anstellung als Fakultätsdozent, war ich Forschungsmitarbeiter ohne Gehalt. Doch irgendwie schlugen wir uns durch, und das Labor bestand fort. Lawrence war die treibende Kraft, und durch die Faszination seiner Entdeckungen blieb dem Labor der Elan erhalten. Es gab nur wenig Organisation: Lawrence war der Boss und das schien zu genügen. Wie groß waren die Veränderungen, die seither stattgefunden haben. Aus dem begeisterten Jugendlichen ist ein Erwachsener geworden, der über mehr Einfluss verfügt, es dafür aber auch mit den Problemen zu tun hat, die sich mit den reiferen Jahren einstellen. Damit habe ich das Ende der mehr oder weniger zusammenhängenden Geschichte erreicht, und jetzt kommt mein Dia-Vortrag. Ich habe etwa die Hälfte der mir zugestandenen Zeit benötigt, und ich werde nun also mit den Dias fortfahren. Könnte ich bitte das erste Dia haben? Dies ist Ernest Lawrence. Das Bild wurde am 19. September 1930 aufgenommen, direkt nachdem er in Berkeley auf einem Treffen der nationalen Akademie der Wissenschaften seinen ersten wissenschaftlichen Vortrag über das Zyklotron gehalten hatte. Er hält eine Apparatur aus Glass, Kupfer und Wachs in Händen, mit deren Hilfe er und Neils Edlefsen Beweismaterial für die Ionenresonanz in einem Magnetfeld erhalten hatten, wodurch Ernest ermutigt wurde, die Entwicklung der Zyklotronidee fortzusetzen. Seinem Gesichtsausdruck können Sie entnehmen, dass er voll Hoffnung für die Zukunft war. Sehen Sie, dies war im September 1930, bevor das Strahlenlabor ins Leben gerufen worden war, doch der kleine Apparat, den Lawrence in Händen hält, war dasjenige, was die ersten Hinweise darauf gab, dass das Zyklotron funktionieren könnte und was dafür sorgte, dass das Projekt fortgesetzt wurde. Jetzt das zweite Dia bitte. Es zeigt Stan Livingston und Ernest Lawrence neben dem großen Magneten in der Halle des „Pelton Water Wheel“-Unternehmens in San Francisco. Dieser Magnet war von der Federal Telegraph Company (der bundesstaatlichen Telefongesellschaft) in Palo Alto zur Verwendung als Teil des Poulsen-Senders (der ein Lichtbogensystem verwendet) hergestellt worden, den die chinesische Regierung bestellt hatte. Er wurde jedoch nie geliefert, und Leonard Fuller, der damals nicht nur Vizepräsident der Federal Telegraph Company in Palo Alto war, sondern auch Vorsitzender des Instituts für Elektroingenieurwesen in Berkeley, sorgte dafür, dass der Magnet stattdessen der Universität und den Forschern von Lawrence gegeben wurde. Und, wie ich bereits gesagt habe, zeigt dieses Bild, wie es in einen Zyklotronmagneten verwandelt wird. Der untere Pol wurde entfernt und es wurden zwei neue Pole hergestellt. Der Kern und die Pole des Magneten mussten verändert werden, um ihn als Magnet eines Zyklotrons verwenden zu können, und dies geschieht hier Ende des Jahres 1931. Ernest Lawrence baute das erste funktionsfähige Zyklotron. Nach dem kleinen Modell, das wir im letzten Bild gesehen hatten, übernahm Livingston die weitere Entwicklung und er baute das nächste Modell: ein Modell, das hervorragend funktionierte. Er fand einen Ionenstrahl aus Wasserstoffmolekülen mit einer Energie von 80.000 Elektronenvolt. Von Wasserstoffmolekülionen haben wir bereits etwas gehört: Sie sind das einfachste Molekül und daher das erste, was in einem Zyklotron beschleunigt wurde. Er fand sie am 2. Januar 1931 in einem 4-Zoll-Zyklotron. Dann baute er ein 11-Zoll-Zyklotron, mit dem Milt White 1932 die von Cockcroft und Walton gefundenen Zerfallsergebnisse für Lithium bestätigten konnte. Diese Arbeiten wurden in Le Conte Hall durchgeführt. Der große Magnet konnte jedoch nur in einem größeren Gebäude untergebracht werden. Wie Ihnen allen bekannt ist, war er einer der Entdecker oder Erfinder der starken Bündelung (strong focusing), ohne die der größte Teil der Hochenergiephysik nicht hätte erforscht werden können. Also: Lawrence erfand das Zyklotron, Livingston stellt eine funktionsfähige Version davon her, die erste, und die beiden sind wirklich die Erfinder dieser ganzen Sache. Drittes Dia. Dies zeigt das alte Strahlungslabor. Es diente vorher als Testlabor für das Bauingenieurwesen. Es hatte eigentlich abgerissen werden sollen, doch Ernest konnte Präsident Sproul, Präsident Sproul der Universität, nicht der USA, überreden, es zu erhalten. Wenn in einer amerikanischen Universitätsstadt vom „Präsidenten“ gesprochen wird, dann ist stets der Präsident der Universität gemeint, nicht der Präsident der Vereinigten Staaten. Ernest überredete also Präsident Sproul dazu, ihm das Labor für seine Experimente zu überlassen. Dies geschah am 26. August im Arbeitszimmer von Präsident Sproul. Ernest hatte damals die Zusage finanzieller Unterstützung und das offizielle Angebot für den Magneten. Wenn man einen Geburtstag für das Labor festlegen möchte, könnte es dieser Tag sein. Zu Beginn des Jahres 1932 wurde der Name „Strahlungslabor“ auf die Türen gemalt. Man kann dies in diesem Bild nicht erkennen. Damals, im Jahre 1932, stand auf allen Außentüren „Strahlungslabor“. Im Januar 1932 wurden der Magnet und ein 27-Zoll-Zyklotron aufgebaut. Im Juni dieses Jahres wurde es erstmals in Betrieb genommen. Sechs Jahre später wurden die Magnetpole vergrößert und das 37-Zoll-Zyklotron installiert. Und in einer Aufzeichnung vom 10. November 1937 fand ich das folgende Blatt von Martin Kamen. Natürlich war Martin Kamen ein Mann, der zusammen mit Sam Ruben Kohlenstoff-14 entdeckte. Außerdem schrieb er gern Gedichte folgender Art: Das Zyklotron, dies Biest, ist keinesweg entartet, Es funktioniert am besten, wenn man’s am wenigsten erwartet, Eins der schönsten dem Mensch beschied’nen Lose, Ist eine gute, dichte Dose. Mit „Dose“ meinte er natürlich das Vakuumgehäuse, so nannten wir es. Und Sie erinnern sich, was ich über das Elend der undichten Gehäuse gesagt habe. Denn das war es wirklich: ein Elend. Man verbrachte die ganze Nacht damit zu versuchen, eine undichte Stelle zu finden, und war es einem endlich gelungen, sie zu beheben, dann wurde das Wachs in die Kammer gesaugt und man musste wieder von vorne anfangen. In diesem Gebäude, das Sie hier sehen, befand sich ein großer Raum für das Zyklotron und seine Steuerungseinheiten. Es gab einen offenen Hof für Transformatoren und Schaltgeräte. Es gab einen Maschinenraum und einiges an Bürofläche. Wann immer es Probleme mit dem Gleichrichter oder dem Generator gab, der den Strom für den Magneten erzeugte, rief man mich, um das Problem zu lösen. Man hielt mich damals für einen Experten, wenn es darum ging, mit einem Kolben zu schweißen. Ich erinnere mich daran, dass Franz Kurie, als er den Motor des Generators einschaltete, einmal die Schalter in der falschen Reihenfolge umlegte und dadurch alle Lampen in ganz Berkeley durchbrennen ließ. Dieses Gebäude wurde Zeuge von Frustration und Begeisterung, von menschlichen und wissenschaftlichen Dramen. Über das, was dort geschah, hat man sich viele Anekdoten erzählt, z. B. die Geschichte, dass Ernest Lawrence Bill Baker und bei einer anderen Gelegenheit Bob Wilson gefeuert hat und seine Kündigungen später widerrief und sie erneut aufnahm. Alles in allem waren die Beziehungen der Forscher untereinander, in Anbetracht der vielen verschiedenen Temperamente der Leute, erstaunlich harmonisch. Nach dem Krieg wurden in diesem Gebäude die ersten Tests des Synchrozyklotron-Prinzips durchgeführt, und Melvin Calvin unternahm hier seine bahnbrechenden Arbeiten zum Kohlenstoffzyklus und zur Photosynthese. Nun schauen wir uns das 4. Dia an. Dies ist eine andere Ansicht desselben Gebäudes: Sie stammt aus dem Jahr 1959. Das Gebäude wird gerade abgerissen. Der Abriss erfolgt in Richtung des Betrachters des letzten Dias, in der Richtung, die im letzten Bild auf den Betrachter gezeigt hätte. Von dem Gebäude ist nicht mehr viel stehen geblieben. Dort stehe ich und betrachte traurig das Ende einer Ära. Später musste auch das Crocker Labor abgerissen werden. Das chemische Institut benötigte mehr Platz für weitere Gebäude. Das war also tatsächlich das Ende einer Ära, denn in diesem alten Gebäude fanden die Anfänge der gesamten Kernforschung statt, die mit Zyklotronen, Beschleunigern, kreisförmigen Beschleunigern durchgeführt wurde. Dies ist das 27-Zoll-Zyklotron von 1932. Die Vakuumkammer sehen Sie in der Mitte. Sie befindet sich zwischen den beiden Polen. Sie selbst und der Magnet sind völlig mit Wachs überzogen. Damals wurde alles mit Wachs überzogen. In dem nach oben verlaufenden Laderohr auf der Vorderseite, in der Mitte dieses Rohres befindet sich ein gespannter Draht, der die Verbindung zum gebündelten Strahlenstrom herstellt bzw. ihn zu einem Galvanometer auf dem Steuerungstisch weiterträgt, der sich hier links außerhalb des Bildes befand. Und auf der Vorderseite der Vakuumkammer befindet sich, zum Betrachter herausstehend, der von Malcolm Henderson gebaute Linearverstärker, der zum Zählen von Protonen und Alpha-Teilchen verwendet wurde. Die Windungen des Magneten wurden durch Öl in diesen großen runden Behältern gekühlt. Sie waren randvoll mit Öl, das von einer Pumpe in einem Kreislauf bewegt wurde. Alles war ständig vollkommen mit Öl überzogen. Einmal vergaß Luis Alvarez ein Ventil zu schließen, nachdem er die Ölzirkulationspumpe ausgeschaltet hatte. Daraufhin lief der gesamte Tank aus und das Öl gelangte durch Risse im Boden in das Untergeschoss. Ich erinnere mich noch daran, dass dies ein sehr dramatischer, von einem Nobelpreisträger ausgelöster Zwischenfall war. Dies zeigt Ernest auf der anderen Seite des Zyklotrons, ebenfalls im Jahr 1932. Dieses Foto hat sein eigenes Datum, das auf dem Wasserstoffbehälter im Vordergrund steht. Hier können Sie es nicht lesen, auf dem Original ist es jedoch sichtbar. Hinter Ernest sehen Sie den Oszillator, der das Zyklotron mit Hochfrequenzstrom versorgte. Sie sehen auf diesem Bild, dass er eine kommerzielle Vakuumröhre verwendet, doch diese waren sehr teuer. Daher verwendeten wir eine Zeit lang selbstgebaute Röhren, die Dave Sloan entworfen hatte. Sie konnten demontiert werden. Sie hatten eine Wachsverbindung, sodass man sie auseinandernehmen und die Filamente auswechseln konnte. Ernest war als einer der besten Experimentalphysiker der Welt ankannt, doch über eine besondere manuelle Geschicklichkeit verfügte er nicht, weshalb er zu den Beschädigungen der Apparate seinen Beitrag leistete, wie wir alle. Wenn irgendeine besonders kniffelige Aufgabe anstand, wandte er sich an jemand anderen und sagte: Wichtig waren seine Ideen und seine Begeisterung. Nun das nächste, das 7. Dia. Dies ist Dave Sloan mit seinem „Röntgenstrahlgrab“ (x-ray tomb), wobei es sich im Wesentlichen um eine Testschleife und ein Vakuumgehäuse handelte. Dieses Röntgenstrahlgrab war das erste Gerät, das in diesem Gebäude aufgestellt wurde. Wie ich Ihnen ja bereits erzählt habe, wurde der große Magnet erst 1932 aufgestellt, dieses Gerät jedoch bereits 1931. Dave war für das Labor sehr wichtig. Er konnte alles bauen und war voller genialer Einfälle. Er baute große Öldiffusionspumpen, als man solche Geräte noch nicht kaufen konnte, und er fertigte die montierbaren Oszillatorröhren an, in denen man die Filamente wechseln konnte, indem man eine Wachsverbindung löste. Einmal versuchte er eine Diffusionspumpe mit Hilfe von Wismutdampf herzustellen. Dies funktionierte zwar nicht besonders, doch es war eine interessante Idee. Bei Physics International war er weiterhin aktiv und arbeitete mit Starkstrombeschleunigern, was eine natürliche Fortsetzung seiner vorherigen Arbeit war. Nächstes Dia. Hier ist ein weiteres Dia des Labors, die Werkstatt des alten Strahlungslabors. Ohne solche Werkstätten hätte das Labor seine Arbeit nicht durchführen können. Wir verwendeten unsere eigene Werkstatt und auch die Werkstatt in Le Conte Hall, die Werkstatt des physikalischen Instituts. Größere Aufträge wurden an kommerzielle Werkstätten vergeben. In dieser Darstellung sehen Sie links George Krause und rechts Eric Lehman, die an einem Zyklotrongehäuse arbeiten, oder die zumindest so aussehen, als überlegten sie, ob sie daran arbeiten sollten. Im Vordergrund sitzen Don Cooksey, der als allgemeine Unterstützungskraft im Labor sehr hilfreich und als Organisator sehr wichtig war (er machte die Werkstätten zu einer seiner Hauptaufgaben), und Jack Livingood, der große Jäger nach radioaktiven Isotopen. Dieser Mann hier in der Ecke ist Livingood. Drei Männer, die seit ihren Anfängen in der Werkstatt gearbeitet haben, Don Stallings, Jack Kroll und Paul Wells, arbeiten noch immer für das Labor. Das nächste Dia ist Dia 9. Es zeigt Art Snell, Franz Kurie und Bernard Kinsey, die sich – wenn ich mich recht erinnere – im Strawberry Canyon Schwimmbad befanden, als dieses Foto aufgenommen wurde. Ich war fast versucht zu sagen, dass sie sich im Schwimmbad von Bad Schachen befinden, doch der Hintergrund stimmt dafür nicht, und auch die Zeit stimmt nicht. Art Snell kam 1934 aus Montreal und ging später nach Chicago. Heute ist er in Oak Ridge. Er war berühmt als der Dichter des Labors. Er dichtete zu allen Gelegenheiten Limericks. Als Lawrence 1939 den Nobelpreis erhielt, schickte er ein Telegramm, auf dem stand: Er baute außerdem einen Oszillator und entdeckte, unter anderem, radioaktives Argon. Franz Kurie, der Mann in der Mitte, scheint einen Tarzanschrei auszustoßen, doch er war tatsächlich ein sehr sanftmütiger Mensch. Er führte die Nebelkammertechnik in das Labor ein. Er nahm Messungen der Energieverteilung von Betastrahlen vor und erfand eine Methode zur Darstellung der Daten von Betastrahlverteilungen, die es leicht machte, die obere Grenze der Energie zu bestimmen. Diese Methode wird heute als Fermi-Kurie-Diagramm bezeichnet. Sie wurde vielfach verwendet. Bei einer Untersuchung der Zertümmerung von Stickstoff durch Neutronenbeschuss fand er einige ungewöhnliche Spuren, die sich so deuten ließen, als wären sie darauf zurückzuführen, dass langsame Elektronen eingefangen und Protone emittiert wurden, wodurch es zur Entstehung von Kohlenstoff-14 kam. Diese Beobachtung von Kurie diente als Schlüssel bei der Suche nach der besten Methode zur Gewinnung von Kohlenstoff-14, die – wie Sie aus dem Gesagten erraten können – darin besteht, dass kleine Neutronen von Stickstoff eingefangen werden. Für eine ziemlich lange Zeit hatte ich eine Flasche Ammoniumnitrat, die sich in der Nähe des Zyklotron-Targets befand. Ich hatte gehofft, eines Tages Kohlenstoff daraus zu trennen und zu prüfen, ob er radioaktiv war. Diese Flasche wurde umgestoßen, und ich habe sie nie ersetzt. Sie stand den Leuten im Weg, und einige hatten sogar Angst, sie könnte explodieren. Es war zu einigen Explosionen gekommen, bei denen Ammoniumnitrat im Spiel war. Doch ich glaube nicht, dass eine kleine Laborflasche sehr gefährlich war. Als Kohlenstoff-14 schließlich identifiziert und Kohlenstoff mit Deuteronen beschossen wurde, versuchten Kamen und Ruben Stickstoff dann mit Neutronen zu beschießen. Sie kehrten anschließend nie wieder zum Beschuss von Kohlenstoff zurück, da hierbei die Erträge geringer waren und der radioaktive Kohlenstoff mit all dem gewöhnlichen Kohlenstoff „verdünnt“ war. Franz Kurie war später der Leiter des Radio- und Tonlabors der US-Marine in San Diego. Und der dritte Mann, Bernard Kinsey, war ein Commonwealth Fellow aus England. Er baute einen Linearbeschleuniger für Lithiumionen. Es gibt viele Geschichten über Bernard. Er konnte sich sehr stark aufregen und hatte eine sehr komplizierte und abwechselungsreiche Art zu fluchen. Er hatte das Fluchen wirklich zu einer Kunst entwickelt. Er war hier auf dieser Feier, und vielleicht lässt er sich überreden, uns eine Kostprobe von seiner Kunst zu geben. Es gab noch einen anderen Commonwealth Fellow an der Universität, Brown war sein Name. Das war wahrscheinlich der faulste Mann, dem ich je begegnet bin. Ich glaube nicht, dass er jemals irgendetwas getan hat. Wann immer ich ihn im Faculty Club traf, wo ich damals wohnte, war er offensichtlich nicht im Labor. Ernest hätte ihn rausgeworfen. Nun kommen wir zu Dia 10. Dies ist das Crockery Labor, das ich früher bereits erwähnt habe. Das alte Strahlungslabor befindet sich links auf der rechten Seite, wenn man einen schmalen Weg überquert, und das 60-Zoll-Zyklotron befindet sich in dem hohen Teil am hinteren Ende dieses Gebäudes. Es wurde als das medizinische Zyklotron bezeichnet, doch wurde es – wie ich schon sagte – von anderen mitbenutzt. Es wurde 1939 in Betrieb genommen. Es lieferte Deuteronen von etwa 9 Millionen Elektronenvolt. Unter der Aufsicht von Dr. Joseph Hamilton wurde es ausgiebig zur Erzeugung von radioaktiven Isotopen eingesetzt, die zu medizinischen Zwecken und als Tracer verwendet wurden. Nun zum nächsten Dia. Hier sehen Sie das 60-Zoll-Zyklotron, Don Cooksey und Ken Green. Sie sehen, dass es wesentlich ordentlicher aussieht, als die früheren Zyklotrone. Bill Brobeck war unser erster Ingenieur. Dies war auf seinen Einfluss zurückzuführen. Die Struktur, die auf der rechten Seite hervorsteht, bestand aus einem Behälterpaar, in denen sich die D-Stämme befanden, die ein Resonanzsystem ausmachten. Die Oszillatoren befanden sich auf dem Balkon auf der rechten Seite. Am oberen Rand erkennen Sie eine Spule aus einem dicken Kabel, diese Spule hier oben. Es übertrug hohe Spannungen an die Deflektorplatte des von Ed Lofgren gebauten Gleichrichters. Der Grund für die Spule ist, dass Hochspannungskabel normalerweise an den Enden defekt werden und dass sie sehr schwer zu spleißen sind. Die Spule enthielt also sehr viel Kabelvorrat für Reparaturen. Nächstes Dia. Dies ist ein Blick durch das Fenster in den Kontrollraum des 60-Zoll-Zyklotrons. Links sehen Sie Bill Brobeck, unseren Ingenieur und Bob Wilson, der seine Pfeife raucht. Bob Wilson ist heute natürlich der Direktor des Fermi-Labors in Batavia in Illinois. Und dann sehen Sie dort Ernest Lawrence und eine Reihe anderer Leute. Einer von ihnen bin ich. Wer der Mann hinter mir ist, habe ich vergessen. Diese temporäre Einrichtung, die die Ordnung des Steuerungstisches stört, war ein Prototyp eines automatischen Magnetstromregulators, der gerade getestet wurde. Nächstes Dia. Dies zeigt eine Gruppe von Leuten. Wer der Mann auf der linken Seite ist, habe ich vergessen. Der nächste ist Ernest Lawrence, der ein Manuskript in Händen hält. Dale Corson, ein Physiker, der jetzt Präsident der Cornel Universität ist. Winfield Salisbury unser Elektronikgenie und Luis Alvarez, der einer der Preisträger ist. Corson war an der Entdeckung von Astatin beteiligt und ist jetzt Präsident der Cornel Universität. Salisbury verfolgte seit seinem Ausscheiden aus dem Labor eine ausgezeichnete Karriere in der Industrie und in der akademischen Welt. Er lieferte sehr wertvolle Beiträge zu Radarabwehrmaßnahmen während des Krieges. Luis erhielt, wie sie wissen, später den Nobelpreis für Physik usw. Nächstes Dia. Dies zeigt John Lawrence, den Bruder von Ernest Lawrence, der hier 1936 mit einer Reihe von Mäusekäfigen im Hintergrund aufgenommen wurde, was ein für einen biomedizinischen Forscher angemessener Kontext ist. Zu den biomedizinischen Forschungen werde ich nichts Weiteres sagen, da das Programm, dem sie galten, noch von einem anderen Redner abgedeckt werden wird. Hier sehen Sie wieder Mäusekäfige, diesmal mit Mäusen darin, doch zu einem späteren Datum, 1939. Die Person ist eine andere: Dr. Joseph Hamilton. Dr. Hamilton verfügte über einen Arbeitsbereich im Crockery Labor, wo er mit radioaktiven Isotopen medizinische und biologische Untersuchungen durchführte. Seine Arbeit erschloss wissenschaftlliches Neuland. Er ermittelte die Stoffwechselpfade der Schwermetalle in Tieren und im Menschen. Joes Mittagstafel im Faculty Club war für seine interessanten Gespräche zu vielen Themen bekannt. Ich erinnere mich, dass er einen besonderen Tisch hatte, eine Art „Stammtisch“. Ich saß regelmäßig an diesem Tisch und wir diskutierten über alles. Nächstes Dia. Es war nicht alles harte Arbeit. Wir hatten auch Spaß. In einem kleinen Dorf in der Nähe von Berkeley gab es ein italienisches Restaurant namens Di Biasi’s. Die Di-Biasi-Parties waren berühmte, jährliche Feiern des Labors. Bei diesen Gelegenheiten entspannten wir uns und hatte Spaß. Dies ist Paul Aebersold. Er ist der Physiker, der mit dem Biologen und den Medizinern zusammenarbeitete, und die Geräte einrichtete, Dosierungen maß, die Patienten vorbereitete usw. Der Mann mit dem Kuchen hier, Paul Aebersold, hatte einen nicht zu unterdrückenden Sinn für Humor. Er war stets der Zeremonienmeister. Diese Party im Jahre 1939 fand zur Feier des 60-Zoll-Zyklotrons statt. Paul überreichte einen zyklotronförmigen Kuchen, auf dem die Worte standen: Das sollte eine völlige Übertreibung sein, doch das Bevatron war noch nicht erfunden. Sie erinnern sich daran, dass wir schon wenige Jahre später 6 Milliarden Volt hatten. Das entsprach fast dieser Zahl, die als maßlose Übertreibung gedacht war. Lawrence befindet sich rechts im Vordergrund, und der Mann im mittleren Vordergrund, Sten von Friesen, ist ein Besucher aus Schweden. Nächstes Dia. Auf derselben Party war auch Martin Kamen, der Mann auf der linken Seite, der über irgendetwas rätselt. Neben ihm steht Sten von Friesen, Bob Cornog, der zusammen mit Alvarez arbeitete und an der Entdeckung von Wasserstoff-3 beteiligt war. Links im Hintergrund ist da noch Ken MacKenzie. Es ist ein wenig dunkel hierfür. Auf der rechten Seite, dort im Hintergrund sieht man Mrs Lawrence, Ernests Ehefrau, zwischen zwei hohen Besuchern: Vannevar Bush auf unserer linken und Alfred Loomis auf unserer rechten Seite. Alfred war ein sehr guter Freund von Ernest und dem Labor, und er half auf vielfältige Weise. Nächstes Dia. Das ist Lorenzo Emo Capodilista, der italienische Graf, den ich eingangs erwähnte. Er war eine der schillernden Figuren in der Anfangszeit des Labors. Er kam 1935 an das Labor und blieb mehrere Jahre. Seinen Nachnamen, Capodilista, verwendete er nicht. Er bedeutet „ganz oben auf der Liste“. Es war scheinbar ein sehr alter italienischer Name. Er war ein ausgesprochen liebenswerter Zeitgenosse. Dies ist Charlie Litton. Der Mann, der zu uns kam und uns bei vielen technischen Problemen half und dessen Name in Verbindung mit Litton Industries verwendet wurde. Er arbeitete mit einer Glasplatte, die er selbst hergestellt hatte. Die Hauptsache, sein originelles Produkt waren derartige Glasplatten. Nächstes Dia. Dies ist Maurice Nahmias aus Joliot-Curies Labor in Frankreich, der hier im Jahr 1937 mit der Vakuumkammer für das 37-Zoll-Zyklotron posiert. Nächstes Dia. Das ist Henry Newson, der 1934 aus Chicago kam, mit einem Doktor in Chemie. Ich meine, er passt sehr gut in diese Gruppe hier. Er kam als Doktor der Chemie, aber er verließ uns als Physiker. Er führte einige höchst einfallsreiche Experimente durch, wozu er den Rückstoß künstlich erzeugter radioaktiver Kerne verwendete. Das Bild wurde im Jahre 1938 aufgenommen. Das nächste Dia. Dies sind Ernest und Molly Lawrence mit ihren ersten beiden Kindern, Eric und Margaret. Sie hatten schließlich sechs Kinder, doch dies war der Anfang. Dieses Bild wurde auf den Stufen des Crocker Labors aufgenommen. Nächstes Dia. Diese Aufnahme zeigt Ernest Lawrence im Jahr 1939 beim Schreiben des Skripts für einen Film über den Nobelpreis. Er verwendet einfach den Kotflügel eines PKWs als Schreibfläche für sein Skript. Gehen wir weiter zum nächsten Dia. Das ist Lee de Forest, der Erfinder, der Mann, der das Raster in das Vakuumgrab brachte, der das Labor besuchte. Wir hatten viele angesehene Besucher im Labor, und ich habe zwei Bilder in die Diaserie aufgenommen. Dies ist de Forest. Nun kann ich Ihnen das nächste Dia zeigen. Es zeigt Diego Rivera mit Lawrence. Diego Rivera war natürlich der mexikanische Wandmaler, und er kam nach San Francisco und erstellte ein Wandgemälde an der Wand eines der dortigen Gebäude. Ich erinnere mich daran, dass ich dorthin fuhr und ihm bei der Arbeit zusah. Wir kommen zum Ende. Nächstes Dia. Es sollte eigentlich um 90° gedreht sein, aber es geht auch so. Das ist eines der original 1934 Lauritsen-Elektroskope, die ich gebaut habe, als ich mich dem Labor 1934 anschloss und das ich für meine frühen Arbeiten verwendete. Und dank eines seltsamen Wunders überleben zwei solcher Dinger. Es gibt sie noch, sie funktionieren sogar noch, und ich habe ein Foto von ihnen in die Diaserie aufgenommen. Nächstes Dia. Das ist Glenn Seaborg anlässlich der Verleihung seines Doktorgrads im Jahre 1937. Das liegt noch vor der zeitlichen Grenze von 1940 für diesen Vortrag. Auf dem nächsten Dia bin ich selbst zu sehen. Es wurde am 8. Juni 1940 bei einer Pressekonferenz im Crocker-Labor aufgenommen. Der Anlass war die Verkündung der Entdeckung von Neptunium, des ersten der Transurane. Und sie nahmen ein Bild von mir auf, auf dem ich mich wie ein echter Chemiker gebe. Nächstes Dia. Ich fand dieses Dia in den Archiven und ich konnte der Versuchung nicht widerstehen, es zum Schluss zu zeigen. Ich nenne es „Am Strand“. Irgendwo im Sacramento Delta genießen John Lawrence, Paul Aebersold und ich mit einigen Mädchen die Sonne. Wenn Sie sich das eine Weile anschauen, beginnt die Sonne vielleicht auch hier zu scheinen. Hiermit möchte ich schließen.


There is a set of physicists who have been rewarded with the Nobel Prize in Chemistry and Edwin McMillan belongs to this set. This has to do with a tradition of the Nobel Committees of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences that became established at the beginning of the 20th Century, that work done in the field of radioactivity should be regarded as belonging to chemistry. Thus, already in 1908, Ernest Rutherford received the chemistry prize and expressed his consternation that he, a physicist, should be rewarded in this way. But when McMillan received his prize in 1951, primarily for the discovery of the radioactive element with atomic number 93, neptunium, the tradition was well established. For his lecture in Lindau, his second and last, McMillan choose to give some historical reminiscences from the laboratory founded by Ernest Lawrence, the inventor of the cyclotron and a Nobel Laureate in Physics 1939. The laboratory was originally named Berkeley Radiation Laboratory and was founded in 1931 to house Lawrence’s cyclotron and other radiation generating machines. McMillan arrived there already in 1934 and tells a fascinating story of the people and the work done there. After the discovery of the neutron, the 1930’s became a hothouse for nuclear physics, at least in terms of the discovery of “new” elements and isotopes through neutron bombardment of “old” elements. This also became a natural cross-disciplinary area, where physicists and chemists worked together, the physicists producing the new elements and the chemists studying their properties. A classical and much discussed case is the close collaboration between the physicist Lise Meitner and the chemists Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann, resulting in the discovery of nuclear fission, for which Otto Hahn alone was rewarded with the 1944 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. In 1951, though, both the physicist and the chemist were asked to come to Stockholm to receive the chemistry prize!

Anders Bárány